Thursday, February 7, 2013

EASY Homemade Natural Anti-Dandruff Shampoo ~ that works! (AND how to make Liquid Castile Soap from a bar)

Let's start this post off with the cold, hard truth.  My husband has some dandruff issues in the winter.  Poor guy!  He may not like me stating that to the world.  But sometimes the truth just ain't pretty, friends.  :)

I decided something needed be done about it..  With my recent attempts of ridding our home of toxins, I decided that I would make some anti-dandruff shampoo of my own.  There are enough recipes out there...but to find one that actually works, that's a different story.

This is what I did, and it's easy peasy.  :)

HOMEMADE NATURAL ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO ~ that works!

6 oz of liquid castile soap
*NOTE: If you want to save money you can make your own liquid castile soap from castile bar soap, see recipe below.  A 4 oz bar cost about $1.00 while a 16 oz bottle of liquid costs around $16.00.  You can do the math.
3 drops of tea tree essential oil
1/2 tsp jojoba oil

Note: You can buy all of these ingredients at most health food stores or online.  My favorite (cheapest) site is Vitacost.com. And I'm not getting paid to say that (although I wish I were). :)

Mix together and let set. 
See, I told you it was easy peasy. 

To make your own Liquid Castile Soap follow one of thes two recipes.  I prefer the first because it's faster, but the second is really simple if you have time to set it aside and don't want to mess with boiling it.

#1 Castile Soap Bar to Liquid Recipe

Grate one bar of Castile Soap.  Mix in saucepan, ratio 1 part soap to 4 parts water by weight. 
*My Kirk's Castile soap is 4oz so I grated the 4 oz bar and mixed it with 16 oz (2 cups) of water.


Boil in saucepan until all chunks of soap are dissolved. 

UPDATE!! 5/9/14: Bring the water to a boil. Add grated soap. Turn down heat to med/low. Allow soap to dissolve, stirring occasionally.

 Let cool.  You now have liquid castile soap.  If it seems a little too thick, add a bit more water.  **See note below.
#2 Castile Soap Bar to Liquid Recipe
 
Grate one bar of Castile Soap. Mix in a gallon size Ziploc bag, ratio 1 part soap to 4 parts warm water by weight.
*My Kirk's Castile soap is 4oz so I grated the 4 oz bar and mixed it with 16 oz of water.

Let it set for about 24 hours, squeezing the bag a few times here and there when you think of it.  When all the chunks of soap have dissolved you have liquid castile soap.  I had to add a bit more warm water to make it the right consistency. 



I used my #1 Recipe to make the Anti-Dandruff Shampoo.  After it sat for a few days it got very thick so I added just a little more water and shook (in an old bubble bath bottle that is now my husband's fabulous anti-dandruff shampoo bottle).

UPDATE: The last time I made this recipe (using the homemade liquid castile soap) it got very, very thick after sitting for a few days.  Just add more water and shake.  Do not reheat or it may liquify and never set up again.  Ask me how I know?!  :)  When you add water and shake, you will just end up with a lot more shampoo.  Which is good, right?!   

Getting Rave Reviews for my dear husband...and no more dandruff.  Sweet!


A pic of me and my sweet husband.  Yes, he's cute.  Yes, he's taken.
There's nothing I would take for him...dandruff or no dandruff.  He's a keeper.
  I love my husband!

Tell me, what would you like to see more of on this blog?  Do you want to share more healthy diet ideas/recipes?  Non-toxic product recipes? Soul health tips?  Exercise or supplement tips?  Other health ideas?  I'd love to hear what you're looking for!  I'm learning a lot...just don't know what to share and what not to share.   

To keep up with this blog, sign up for e-mail updates (in the right hand side bar). Join me on Facebook. Join me on Pinterest.

18 comments:

  1. With today's mass commercial products that feature a variety of chemicals that are toxic for the body, it's great to see people who advocate for natural solutions to promote a healthy lifestyle. I have also embraced a more natural way of living by using a Natural Shampoo that leaves my hair healthy, radiant, and beautiful without the excess toxins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying non-toxic recipes, just now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous friend for taking the time to write a comment. I love hearing from readers! :)

      Delete
  3. Would this work for something worse than dandruff? I have seborrheic dematitis, or psoriasis on most of my scalp. The itching and placques are horrible, with flakes just flying when I move my head. I have used over the years Dermarrest, Nizoral, tea tree, salicylate, zinc, lavender. Am currently using fluorcininide solution which works somewhat but requires to be left on overnight and then washed out. The best thing I ever had was a deep conditioner with Neem but it was discontinued. Any suggestions of a natural solution would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of M-folia shampoo, I'm assuming you have too. But I have never used it myself. If I were in your position there a 3 things I would try: 1. Jojoba Oil 2. Coconut Oil 3. Olive Oil. All are inexpensive, all natural and worth a shot! I would rub them on the scalp before bed at night, then wash out in the morning with a good shampoo. Hope this helps...and that you find results soon!

      Delete
  4. For the reader who left a comment asking about what other kinds of soap you could use rather than Castile Soap. I'm SO SORRY that I accidentally deleted your comment!

    I don't think glycerin soaps would work as well because of the toxic chemicals that they add to these soaps, that in turn dry out the skin (as well as the scalp & hair). I know that you said that Castil soap is expensive in your area, but you can buy Kirk's Castile soap on Vitacost.com for only $1.00 a bar (3 bars for $2.96 right now)!

    I'm not sure if you asked another question, again I'm sorry that I deleted your comments. Feel free to jot me another note, if I missed something. :)

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I like that it is simple and easy, so I will actually try it! :) great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel,

    I tried your recipe for the castile soap yesterday. Everything went well until it cooled down. It was liquid at first, but then gradually solidified. I saw your update about what to do if it gets too thick, and you mentioned "Do not reheat or it may liquify and never set up again." I actually want it to be in liquid form. So my question is...if I cook it down again, will that ensure it will stay in liquid form? Thanks for your help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my experience that when I just add water and shake, it just gets thinner. Just keep adding water until it is to your desired consistency. But if you reheat it, it becomes liquid, like water.

      I need to play with this recipe a bit more because the last time I had to a lot more water than I did the first couple of times. Not sure if the weather (temperature) effects how it sets up or what.

      Hope this helps. If you just add water and get it to a desired consistency, it should be good. And you will have even more shampoo!! :)

      Delete
  7. Is a conditioner required at all or will this shampoo be pretty good on not causing knots!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has such short hair that I guess it's hard for me to say for sure. My gut instinct is that it should be okay without conditioner because of all the moisture the jojobo oil brings to this shampoo.

      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment, Sarah. :)

      Delete
  8. use a vinegar rinse for conditioner...works great on my daughter's very long, straight hair...don't know what to tell you about curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Chris!

      Also, here is a follow up on what I use on my hair: http://beranvillehealth.blogspot.com/2013/06/curly-girls-gone-right-how-to-wash.html

      Delete
  9. I've used this recipe for about a week. I have very thick, wavy hair. I wash my hair about every other day. But I've notice this shampoo leaves some type of residue on my hair which leaves it very dull and weighed down. I've read that adding olive oil should help but I've had no such luck. I would like to know if you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear this. As you can see, my husband has very short hair. I haven't tried this shampoo myself. I use Deva Curl's No Poo and Conditioner. I love it!!

      Delete
  10. I just started making my own shampoo for my family (using liquid castille soap, coconut milk & sweet almond oil), but my daughter has developed a pretty bad case of dandruff. I'm going to try adding some tea tree oil to it and see if that helps. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest adding just a little jojoba oil. I believe that is the oil that helps combat the dandruff the most. :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I enjoy hearing from you!